Moldy Cheese – to Eat or Not to Eat, That Is The Real Struggle
Okay, picture this: you buy a beautiful chunk of Parmesan cheese that you intend to eat during the week, but for some reason, you can’t eat it right away, so you put it in the fridge. Now, after a couple of days when you think of grating it over a lovely bowl of pasta, you take it out only to find that it has developed ugly looking mold that makes you go eww! It’s fluffy, bluish-green, and spotty all over, which gives you a bit of a dilemma.
You don’t want to throw away the expensive cheese that you just bought, and you, of course, can’t eat it as is. You think of taking the middle road – remove the rotten part and eat the rest of it.
Now, before you go all holier than thou, many of us would actually do that. And that’s where this article comes into the picture. If you’re going to eat even a little part of cheese that’s gone bad, you should know the following:
What can happen?
Though it may be extremely rare, some types of cheese mold can produce toxic substances that may make you very sick – one of such toxic substances has even been linked to liver cancer! Secondly, for many people, inhaling mold while chewing causes breathing problems and allergic reactions. And in the worst case of all, you may accidentally eat mold, which contains fungal toxins!
What symptoms you may develop after
If you’ve accidentally eaten mold and are feeling sick, you could develop different kinds of symptoms. According to WHO, the consumption of or exposure to the toxins in moldy cheese can cause diarrhea, vomiting, dizziness, internal bleeding, abdominal pain, and more. Moreover, mold sometimes (not always) indicates the presence of bacteria that can cause food poisoning.
Is it really that bad?
If you’re wondering if something drastic might really happen to your body, let us assure you, most likely it wouldn’t. The above mentioned scary things could unfold if the cheese is really old and you’re really unlucky. Heck, many of us sometimes eat slightly moldy bread, and nothing happens, right? Plus, some mold is used in the production of cheese, so it’s there anyways!
To give a final word
The bottom line is that not all molds are harmful to the body, but experts say this is not worth the risk, especially if you have a weak immune system. So, if you see mold infecting any soft food, even if it’s just a speck, you should assume that the entire meal is tainted. To avoid spreading the mold in such cases, put that food in a bag and dispose it off. Don’t smell it to see if it’s “good,” as inhaling mold spores can cause allergic reactions and respiratory problems.
More in Food
Simple Yet Effective Ways to Boost Our Immune Systems During the Time of the Pandemic
Many people are left scrambling to find the most effective way to boost their immune system because of the widespread threat...December 28, 2020
Constantly Looking for Food? Here Are Some Reasons You Always Feel Hungry
Getting hungry is nothing out of the ordinary — it is our bodies’ way of telling us that we need food...December 27, 2020
All Fruits Are Healthy But These ‘Super Fruits’ Pack More Nutrients – Here’s Why They Are Worth Adding to Your Diet
It doesn’t take a genius to know that fruits are one of the healthiest foods out there because they pack vitamins,...December 27, 2020
Healthy Food is The Only Road to a Healthy Life
If you’re interested in making your health better or in upgrading your lifestyle to the best, you absolutely cannot ignore making...December 26, 2020
A Simple Switch Of Cooking Oils Can Make Your Life Healthier
Have you ever noticed how many different kinds of oils there are on the shelves of a grocery store? Chances are,...December 26, 2020
Stone Fruit Seeds – Are They Really Poisonous?
Picture this – it’s Sunday evening and you have a delicious smoothie in front of you. You’re relishing the taste of...December 25, 2020
These Sweet Snacks Are Far Healthier Than Typical Store-Bought Sugary Foods!
If you have a sweet tooth, you may find it hard to avoid sugary foods. However, there are lots of reasons...October 19, 2020
Stop Gulping Too Much Lemon Water Or You May Suffer These Consequences
Lemon water has been praised for its link to many health benefits, including aiding in weight loss and boosting our immune...October 6, 2020
Did You Know That You Might Have Contracted the Novel Coronavirus and Recovered Without Even Realizing It?
Continuous researches and studies by experts state that people had started getting infected by coronavirus before the lockdown even started. If...October 5, 2020